As caretakers of the spoken word in high-stakes situations, we at DLE Court Reporters consider ourselves committed to perfectionism. Accuracy matters, whether during a fast-paced deposition, in a courtroom where harried witnesses are speaking at a rate of over 250 words per minute, or via teleconferencing when the connection wavers. Our clients count on us for flawless transcription, and we realize that even a 1% mistake rate could lead to crucial transcription errors. So, we take seriously the trust of our judges, attorneys, witnesses, juries, and all parties involved, and do our utmost to ensure top-quality transcription.
What’s our secret? We have a few, from punctuation rules to preparation. We at DLE Court Reporters are always happy to share our expertise.
- We are prepared. Our DLE Court Reporters carry an equipment checklist to be doubly (and triply!) sure that they have everything they need to record the proceedings. By preparing for the unexpected – dead batteries, power cords, and backup devices – we are ready for anything that comes our way.
- We remind those involved with the proceedings to speak clearly, and try to refrain from cross-talk. Sure, our seasoned reporters can catch it all, but the transcripts will benefit from a concentrated effort to pause between questions and answers. Note: We all tend to support those speaking with encouraging words like “I see” and “okay,” but those require transcription, too. We suggest keeping them to a minimum, resorting to silent head nods instead.
- We pay attention to punctuation. If a speaker trails off, we use ellipses to convey that the quoted sentence has been deliberately left incomplete. However, if a speaker is interrupted (See Tip No. 2), we note this action by using a dash. We pay the same careful attention to commas, as their presence or omission can completely change the meaning of a sentence.
- We do our research. Whenever possible, we request a list of the specific terminology that may be used in the proceedings, from medical terms to a particular foreign language, and even names.
- We aren’t afraid to pause and ask for clarification. Our accuracy matters, and if anything is hindering our ability to achieve perfection, we do our best to fix it.
Our vast experience in the legal industry has taught us that luck favors the prepared. Our clients wouldn’t have it any other way.
If you’re searching for a legal services support team to help you reach your highest accuracy goals, give us a call.